This page is a part of the Tompkins Co., NYGenWeb Site. Not for commercial use. All Rights Reserved.
|The Charles Cooper Family
of Tompkins Co., NY
To be used as a guide only!
Charles COOPER b.abt. 1784 d. Nov. 10th 1865 age 81 yrs. Charles, was a native of Connecticut, who settled in Ulster County on a farm, and moved in 1816 to this county, where in 1864 he died. He was as a nail maker by trade, though he chiefly followed farming.
1. Samuel R. COOPER s/o Charles & Betsey, b. abt. 1801 d ? born in Ulster Co. married Keziah HOLLISTER b. abt. 1801, daughter of Isaac HOLLISTER and Ruth WINCHELL.
a. Hestian COOPER b. March 29, 1829
b. Martha COOPER b. Aug. 22, 1831 in Caroline NY, married May 25th 1862 Sherman BEARDSLEY
c. Mary COOPER b. Dec. 12th 1834 in Caroline, NY.
d. Isaac M. COOPER b. abt. 1838
e. Newton J. COOPER b. March 31, 1838 in Caroline.
Caroline Census for 1850 lists, Samuel R. 44, Keziah 49, Martha 19, Mary E. 16, Isaac M. 12, Hestian 21; 1865 Caroline Census states Keziah was a mother of 4 children.
2. William COOPER s/o Charles and Betsey b. Sept. 29, 1808 d. April 12, 1901 in Danby, NY. William was born in Ulster County, he lived at home until his twenty-third year, when hen he started for himself. He also worked for the D.L. & W. Railroad a short time. At the age of twenty-five in November, 1832, he married Abigail, daughter of Henry SEELY. of this county. b. Jan. 19, 1815 d. Oct. 2, 1862 she died of Consumption. [Note: another record is found that they married Jan. 9th 1833 by Rev. Plyny Sabin at Danby, NY. William and Abigail are buried in Cooper Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY.
a. Charles H. COOPER b. 1834 d. 1921 married Mary M. DOBBINS b. 1842 d. 1912
child, may be more; Buried in Cooper Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY.
Ruth E.COOPER 1884-1951 married Aug. 21, 1907 LeRoy ROUNSVELL 1885-1972.
b. Homer COOPER d. July 1, 1871 age 26 years. Buried in Cooper Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY.
c. Ezelia COOPER b. July 18, 1837 d. Feb. 1, 1916 married Charles E. CLOCK d. March 18, 1875 age 47 yrs.
were Elosia M. married Fred A. STEVENS; Sarah D., b. Nov. 13, 1862 d. Jan. 18, 1863; Jennie E., b. June 29, 1869 d. Dec. 3, 1998; Carrie Louise 1868-1927 married Simon ROE 1849-1923 son of James ROE & Sarah PERSONIUS.
d. Elosia COOPER d. July 7, 1864 age 21 yrs. buried in Cooper Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY. [Note: 1865 census record on Elasin Cooper (female) died July 7, 1865 of consumtion age 24 yr.] William married 2nd Phebe Ann (--?--) b. April 13, 1817 d. Feb. 14, 1893. 1880 census records state that she was born in Conn. Buried in Cooper Cemetery, Town of Caroline, Tompkins Co., NY.
3. Sarah A. COOPER d/o Charles and Betsey b. Oct. 21, 1810 d. April 11, 1909 married Kinner HOLLISTER born Sept. 11, 1803 d. Nov. 04, 1889, s/o Isaac HOLLISTER & Ruth WINCHELL They are buried in Hollister Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY. Children ?
4. Hannah COOPER d/o Charles and Betsey b. 1813 d.? Married Truman SPALDING b. Oct. 24, 1819 d. April 17, 1889 he was born in the town of Spencer, Tioga Co., NY, son of William & Eunice SPAULDING one child; Elvelyn D. SPAULDING b.? d. ? married Sept. 13, 1854 Clarence L. SMITH b. Feb. 5, 1851, son of Minor T. SMITH & Maria KING. They had a son & dau.
5. Jay A. COOPER s/o Charles and Betsey b. abt. 1814 d. March 30, 1836 age 21 yrs., 8 mo., 10 dy. Buried in Morris Chapel Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY.
6. John A. D. COOPER s/o Charles and Betsey born in Olive, Ulster County, March 21, 1815 d. 1896. He lived with his parents till nearly the time of his father's death, and married Mandana, daughter of Luther HEATH & Ruth HOLLISTER, of Dryden in 1854. He continued to live in a house on the same farm with his father, he buying the place, and later selling his father four acres, where he lived till within a year of his death. Our subject has one child by his first wife, a daughter, who is married and lives in Brookton. His wife died in 1859 and he married second Mrs. Emily L HILL, of Candor. He has been a member of the Baptist church for fifty years, and an active worker therein. He is a Republican. Emily L. Hill could be name from another marriage, my guess is she could of been Emily STEVENS. b. 1830 d. 1909 Child: Ella R. COOPER b. 1857 d. 1931 married Nov. 18, 1880 at Caroline, NY to William T. GRAHAM b. 1854 d. 1937
7. Hiram COOPER s/o Charles and Betsey b. 1817 d. April 7, 1890 married Roxanna A. (---?---) b. abt. 1823 born in Vermont. d. Oct. 22, 1889, they had children, but unsure who they were. 1870 Caroline Census lists male, name unreadable. Aurella age 28, Millie age 8, I found record of a Millie COOPER who married Earl WALKER, unsure if this would be the same person. Hiram and Roxanna are buried in Cooper Cemetery, Town of Caroline.
8. Ruth S. COOPER s/o Charles and Betsey b. 1825 d. 1911 married John Madden 1821-1888 both buried in Cooper Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY. Unknown if they had children.
9. Kizia COOPER d/o Charles and Betsey b. abt. 1819 died Oct. 12, 1842 age 23 years 24 dys. Buried in Morris Chapel Cemetery, Town of Caroline, NY.
You are our visitor April 12, 2000.
Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright by Janet M. Nash and Johnna Armstrong
for the contributors of the material on these pages.
All Rights Reserved.
Return to Tompkins County Home Page