This page is a part of the Tompkins Co., NYGenWeb Site. Not for commercial use. All Rights Reserved.
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
by John H. Selkreg, 1894; D. Mason & Co., Publisher
Brief Personal Sketches
ATKINSON - BABCOCK - BAILEY - BARR - BENNETT - BRISTOL
[The following brief personal sketches have been prepared by the editor and publishers of this work, from data supplied by the persons to whom they relate, and not by the writer of the university history]:
ATKINSON, George F., was born in Monroe county in March, 1854, educated at Olivet College, Michigan, and Cornell University, graduating from the latter in 1885, with the degree of Ph.D. He taught at the University of North Caroline (1885-1888); University of South Caroline (1888-1889), Alabama Polytechnic Institute, 1889-1892, and Cornell University in 1892. He came to Cornell in 1892, as assistant professor cryptogamic botany, and is at present associate professor. He married in 1887 Lizzie KERR, and they have two children.
BABCOCK, Charles, born at Ballston Spa, Saratoga county, N. Y., educated at home, at the Irving Institute, Tarrytown, N. Y., and Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., graduating with the degree of A.B. in 1847, and receiving the degree of A. M. three years later. He spent five years in the study, and five years in the practice of architecture in New York city; then taught four years at St. Stephen's College, Annandale, N. Y., when he entered the ministry of the Episcopal church. In 1862 he removed to Orange county, N. Y., and served there as a missionary for nine years. In 1871 he was called to the professorship of architecture in Cornell University, and has held that position ever since. He married in April, 1853, Elizabeth A., daughter of Richard UPJOHN, the architect.
BAILEY, Liberty Hyde, was born in South Haven, Mich., March 15, 1858. He was educated in the Michigan Agricultural College and at Harvard, and graduated form the former in 1882, receiving the degree of B. S. in 1882, and M.S. in 1886; taught in his alma mater, and also at Cornell University, coming to Ithaca in 1888. Mr. Bailey has been the author of the following books: Annals of Horticulture in North America for 1889; Annals for 1890; Annals for 1891; Annals for 1892; Annals for 1893; The Horticulturist's Rule-Book; The Nursery Book; Cross-Breeding and Hybridizing; American Grape Training; Field Notes on Apple Culture; Talks Afield; a revision of GRAY's "Field, Forest, and Garden Botany;" also several monographs of groups of plants, and many private addresses. He is now associate editor of Johnson's Universal Cyclopedia, in charge of agriculture, horticulture, and forestry. He is also secretary-treasurer of the World's Horticultural Society. In 1888 he came to Cornell to accept the professorship of general and experimental horticulture, which position he still holds. In 1883 he married Nettie SMITH, of Lansing, Mich., and they have two children: Sara May and Ethel Zoe. The ancestry on the paternal grandmother's side came from the Pilgrim immigration in the Mayflower, on the paternal side from English ancestry, which came to America about 200 years ago. On the mother's side from the HARRISON family, a branch of the family of which William Henry HARRISON and Benjamin HARRISON are members.
BARR, John Henry, was born at Terre Haute, Indiana, June 19, 1861. He was prepared for college at the Mankato State Normal School of Minnesota and by private instruction, and entered the university of Minnesota, from which he graduated in 1883, with the degree of B.M.E.; M.S. in 1888, and from Cornell University in 1889 with the degree of M.M.E. He taught at the University of Minnesota as instructor, assistant professor and professor of mechanical engineering '85-91; Sibley College Cornell University, assistant professor 1891 to date. His literary work has been as follows: editorial writer Northwestern Mechanic '90-91; occasional contributions Cassier's Magazine; Sibley Journal of Engineering, and others. He came to Cornell as a graduate student in '88-89, as assistant professor of mechanical engineering '91, which position he still fills, in charge of machine design. He married June 4, 1884, Katherine Louise KENNEDY, and they have one son, John H. BARR, jr. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent on the paternal side, and English on the maternal side. He wrote articles on machine tools for report of United States commissioner general to the Paris Exposition of 1889. He has written "Notes on Kinematics" '91; and a Course in Kinematics '93; small works printed privately for use of his own classes. Professor BARR is member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. He spent two and one-half years in engineering work in the Lake Superior copper district, and has done some expert work in engineering since he began teaching.
BENNETT, Charles Edwin, was born in Providence, R. I., April 6, 1858, educated in Providence public schools, graduating from Brown University in 1878, with the degree of A.B. He taught at the University of Nebraska 1884-89; University of Wisconsin 1889-1891; Brown University 1891-1892. His literary work has been as follows: Sounds and Inflections of the Cyprian Dialect, 1888; Xenophon, Hellenica Books V-VII., 1892; Tacitus, Dialogus de Oratoribus, 1894. He came to Cornell in 1882, as professor of Latin language and literature, which position he still holds. He married June 28, 1886, Margaret Gale HITCHCOCK, and their children are: Margaret Lawrence Gale, Harold Selden and Helen. His father's name was John Lawrence and his mother Lucia Dyer.
BRISTOL, George Prentice, was born in Clinton, N. Y., June 21, 1856, educated at Hamilton College, Johns Hopkins Universities, Universities of Leipzig and Heidelberg, graduating from Hamilton college in 1876 with the degree of A.B. He taught at Delaware Literary Institute, Franklin, N. Y., 1877-1879, Hamilton college 1882-1888, Cornell University 1888. His literary work has been as follows: Published an edition of the Speeches of Lysias in 1892. He went to Cornell in 1888, as assistant professor Greek, and is at present associate professor of Greek. He married Lucia E. RAYMOND July 16, 1880. His father was teacher of classics, grandfather first valedictorian of Hamilton College, great-grandfather one of the founders of Hamilton College. The family is of the Pedagogue race.
BURR, George Lincoln, is of Puritan ancestry, the son of a physician, and was born the 30th of January, 1857, at Oramel, a village in Western New York. At the outbreak of the Civil War his father entered the army, and his mother returned to her earlier home at Newark Valley, N.Y., where BURR spent his boyhood. When fourteen years of age he entered Cortland Academy at Homer, N. Y., to prepare for college. Upon his graduation thence in 1873, the latest alumnus of the old institution, he taught for a few months, and then, as a more promising means of working his way through college, apprenticed himself to the printer's trade at Cortland, where before the end of his three years he rose to the foremanship of the office. In 1877 he entered Cornell with his sister, for a time supporting both by his work in the university printing office, then domiciled in Sibley college. But soon after the return of President White from Europe in 1878 he was called to the charge of the president's historical library, at the head of which he has ever since been. During the remainder of his college course he was also an assistant in the University Library. As an undergraduate Mr. BURR devoted himself especially to philology and to history, and upon receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1881, he became private secretary to the president of the university, with the half-honorary title of Instructor and Examiner in Modern History. In 1884 he went abroad and spent two years in study and research in various universities and libraries in Europe, mainly at Leipzig, Paris and Zurich. Returning to Ithaca in 1886 he resumed his relations with Mr. White, who had meantime resigned the presidency of the university, becoming his assistant in historical research, and in 1887 again going abroad for a years' investigation in foreign libraries. In the fall of 1888 he entered upon the duties, no longer to be deferred, of a teacher of history in the university; the following year his instructorship was made an assistant professorship, at the end of the next he became an associate professor, and a year later, in 1892, he was elected to a full professorship of Ancient and Mediaeval History. His duties as a librarian and teacher have left him as yet little time for literary work. Apart from a few papers and magazine articles, mainly in the history of religious persecution, he has published only an annotated catalogue, still in progress, of the historical library under his charge. But a life of Charles the Great from his pen is announced for early issue, and he is understood to be also at work upon a history of witch persecution in Christendom.
CALDWELL, George Chapman, was born at Framingham, Mass., in 1834. He was educated in the district schools of New England, and at the academy at Lunenburg, Mass., graduating from Harvard University and the Universit6y of Göttingen, receiving the degree of B.S. from Harvard (Lawrence Scientific School) in 1855 and of Ph.D. at Göttingen, Germany, in 1857. Professor CALDWELL is the author of the following works: "Agricultural Chemical Analysis," "Introductory Chemical Practice," "Manual of Qualitative Analysis," "Notes on Chemical Analysis," "Manual of Elementary Chemical Analysis," and numerous contributions to agricultural and other periodicals and newspapers. He came to Cornell in 1868 as professor of agricultural chemistry, is now filling the position of professor of general and agricultural chemistry, and is head of the department of chemistry at Cornell University. In 1861 he married Rebecca S. WILMARTH, and they have two children: Francis Cary, and Grace Wilmarth, both born in Ithaca. His father, who graduated from Harvard in 1828, was a teacher and a Unitarian minister, and the ancestry is traced back to John CALDWELL of Ipswich, Mass., born in 1624, who came from the North of England.
CARPENTER, Rolla Clinton, was born in Orion, Oakland county, Mich., where he received his first schooling. He also attended school at Pontiac, Mich., and then entered the Michigan Agricultural College, from which he graduated in 1873 with the degree of B.S., and later from the Michigan University, in 1875, with the degree of C.E. He took the degree of M.S. from the Michigan Agricultural college in 1876, and that of M.M.E. from Cornell in 1888. He was for one year a civil engineer engaged in the construction of a railroad. He was professor of mathematics and civil engineering in the Michigan Agricultural College from 1876 to 1889. His literary work has been various articles in engineering periodicals, and two books, Experimental Engineering; notes on Mechanical Laboratory Practice. He came to Cornell in 1890-1 as associate professor of experimental engineering, which position he now holds. In 1876 Professor CARPENTER married Marion DEWEY, and they have three children: Naomi, George and Charles. His ancestors were New York people, of English stock.
CHURCH, Irving Porter, was born in Ansonia, Conn., July 22, 1851, was educated in the public schools at Newburgh, N. Y., Riverview Military Academy, at Poughkeepsie, and at Cornell University, graduating from the latter with the degree of B.C.E. in 1875. He took the degree of C.E. in 1878. He has taught at different institutions, among them being Ury House School, Fox Chase, Philadelphia, and Cornell University. Professor CHURCH has contributed to various engineering periodicals, and is the author of the following works: Statics and Dynamics (1886); Mechanics of Materials (1887); Hydraulics (1889); all of which were issued later, in one volume, as Mechanics of Engineering; also Notes and Examples in Mechanics (1892). Our subject came to Cornell in September, 1876, as assistant professor of civil engineering, and now fills the chair of applied mechanics in the College of Civil Engineering. In 1881 he married Elizabeth P. HOLLEY, of Niagara Falls, and they have two children: Edith Holley and Elsie STERLING. Among his ancestors were Gov. John WINTHROP, of Massachusetts; born in 1587, died in 1649; Col. Elisha STERLING, who participated in the war of 1812, born in Connecticut in 1768; and chief Justice Samuel CHURCH, of the Supreme Court of Connecticut; born in 1785, died in 1854.
CLEAVES, Edwin Chase, was born April 1, 1847, at Hopkinton, Mass.; was educated in the public schools of Fitchburg, Mass., and the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, graduating from the latter institution in 1873, with the degree of B.S. He then accepted a position as draughtsman at Washburn & Moen's wireworks, Worcester, Mass., until his call to Cornell in September, 1873. He is the author of a series of drawing books in the Krüses course of industrial drawing. His first position in the university was as assistant professor freehand drawing, and mechanical drawing, of which he is now associate professor. December 30, 1873, he married Mary E. PREW, of Fitchburg, Mass.; and March 19, 1889, Mrs. Abby L. MOSES, of Holden, Mass. The father of our subject was Francis E. CLEAVES, born at Wenham, Mass., in September, 1816, died in November, 1883. He was a Baptist clergyman. The mother was Sarah A. FOGG, born in 1822 at Meridith, N. H., and died in 1854.
COLLIN, Charles A., was born in Benton, Yates county, and graduated from Yale College with the degree of A.B. in 1866, and of A.M. in 1869. He taught at Norwich, Conn., at the Free Academy, from 1866 to 1870, in the spring of the latter year being admitted to the bar in Connecticut, and in New York in the fall of the same year. From 1870 to 1887 he practiced law in Elmira, coming to Cornell in the fall of 1887 as professor of law, now filling the position of commissioner of statutory revision. May 23, 1871, he married Emily Lathrop RIPLEY, of Norwich, Conn., and they have two children: Dwight R. and Grace L. The ancestry of the family is French Huguenot, Scotch Presbyterian, and New England Puritan.
COMSTOCK, John Henry, was born in Janesville, Wis., February 24, 1849, educated in Mexico Academy, Mexico, N. Y., Fally Seminary, Fulton, N. Y., and Cornell University, graduating from the latter in 1874 with the degree of B.S. He taught at Cornell University (1872-1879-1881 to date) and was United States entomologist in 1879-1881. His literary work was as follows: Reports as entomologist for the United States department of agriculture, 1879, 1880 and 1881; report on Cotton Insects, 1879; Introduction to Entomology, 1888; article Hymenoptera in the Standard Natural History; article Entomology in Johnson's Cyclopedia; Evolution and Taxonomy, etc. Wilder Quarter-Century Book; First Lessons in the Study of Insects, now (Februrary, 1894,) in press; many entomological articles in various journals, and in the bulletins of Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station. He came to Cornell in 1869 as a student, and at present holds the position of professor of entomology and general invertebrate zoology. He married October 7, 1868, Anna BOTSFORD, of Otto, N. Y. The parents of Mr. COMSTOCK were Ebenezer and Susan M. COMSTOCK. His mother's maiden name was ALLEN. Both father and mother were of Stephentown, N. Y.
CRANDALL, Charles L., was born in Bridgewater, Oneida county, July 20, 1850; was educated in the district school, West Winfield Academy, Whitestown Seminary, and Cornell University, receiving from the latter the degreee of B.C.E. in 1872 (since change to C.E.), and C.E. in 1876 (since changed to M.C.E.). Professor CRANDALL has taught at the latter institution since the spring of 1874, and he now fills the position of associate professor of civil engineering in charge of railroad engineering and geodesy. He has issued the following works: Tables for the Computation of Railway and other Earthwork, 1886; second edition, revised and enlarged, 1893; Notes on Descriptive Geometry (assisted by others), pamphlet, 1888; Notes on Shades, Shadows, and Perspective (revised by W. L. WEBB), 1889; the Transition Curve, 1893; Navigation Works executed in France from 1876 to 1891; translated from the French of F. GUILLAIN for the International Engineering Congress, 1893. He married Myra G. ROBBINS, August 20, 1878. Professor CRANDALL is a son of Peter B. and Eunice Carter (PRIEST) CRANDALL.
CRANE, Thomas Frederick, was born at New York, July 12, 1844, and received his early education at the old Lancasterian School in Ithaca, under the superintendence of M. R. BARNARD, and later at the public school and academy of the same place (the last named institution being then in charge of Mr. CARR). In 1858 Mr. CRANE removed to Elizabeth, N. J., and continued his education at the private school of Mr. PIERSON, until his entrance to the College of New Jersey, Princeton, in August, 1860. Mr. CRANE was one of the editors of the Nassau Literary Magazine, and ivy orator of his class. He graduated in 1864, and entered at once the Law School of Columbia College. The following year (1865) Mr. CRANE returned to Ithaca, where he has since resided, and pursued his legal studies with the firm of Boardman & Finch. He was admitted to the bar at Binghamton in June, 1866, and occupied for a time the office of Mr. F. M. FINCH. Later he practiced law by himself and assisted Mr. Wesley HOOKER in collecting the internal revenue of the district. During all this time Mr. CRANE continued his literary studies and took up the study of German, French, and Spanish. He was also much interested in the foundation of the Cornell University and acted as secretary to Mr. CORNELL and Mr. FINCH during the summer preceding the opening of the university. When that even occurred in October, 1868, Mr. A. D. WHITE, the first president of Cornell, asked Mr. CRANE to take the chair of German until the return of Professor Willard FISKE. Mr. CRANE occupied this position until the close of the first term, and then decided to devote his time between Germany, Italy, Spain, and France. In 1870 he returned to Ithaca to accept the position of assistant-professor of the Romance languages. In 1891 he accompanied President WHITE to Santo Domingo. He was made professor of Spanish and Italian in 1872, and professor of the Romance languages in 1881, which position he now fills. He received the degree of A.M. from Princeton in 1867, and Ph.D. in 1874. Professor CRANE is a member of the American Philosophical Society of Philadelphia, and of the Royal Academy of Sciences and Arts of Palermo, Italy. Professor CRANE has contributed a large number of articles to the North American Review, International Review, Harper's Magazine, Lippincott's Magazine, and the Nation on Folk-Lore, and the literary history and philology of the Romance languages, especially during the period of the middle ages. Since his article on Italian Popular Tales in the North American Review for July, 1876, he has devoted much attention to the subject of the origin and diffusion of popular tales, and was one of the founders of the American Folk-Lore Society (1888). Professor CRANE is the author of a series of French classics, among which are: Le Romantisme Français, and La Société Française au XVIIe Siècle (New York 1891), and an edition (1890) for the English Folk-Lore Society of the Exampla, or illustrative stories contained in the sermons of Jacques de Vitry, Bishop of Acre (died 1240), containing the Latin text, English analysis, elaborate notes on the origin and diffusion of the individual stories and an introduction on the life of the author and the use of illustrative stores in mediaeval sermons, etc. In 1874 Professor CRANE married Sarah Fay TOURTELLOT, by whom he has one daughter, Frederika Waldron, born in 1885. Professor CRANE's family (of English and Dutch descent) settled in Ithaca in 1818, where his grandmother married as her second husband Jeremiah TOURTELLOT of Huguenot ancestry.
DURAND, William Frederick, was born at Beacon Falls, Conn., March 5, 1859, educated at the Derby High School, U. S. Naval Academy, and Lafayette College, Easton, Pa., He was graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in June, 1880, and received the degree of Ph.D. in course in June, 1888, from Lafayette College, He has taught at Lafayette College (1883-85), Worcester Polytechnic Institute (March to June 1887), Michigan Agricultural and Mechanical College (1887-91), Cornell University (1891). His literary work has been limited thus far to numerous articles in engineering and professional periodicals, and to various papers read before "Learned Societies." He is understood to be engaged in the preparation of a text book of naval architecture. Professor DURAND came to Cornell in September, 1891, as principal of the graduate school of naval architecture and marine engineering, which position he now fills. He married, October 23, 1883, Charlotte KNEEN, and they have one son, William Leavenworth DURAND. The ancestry of the family is English and Huguenot French.
EMERSON, Alfred, associate professor of classical archaeology, Cornell University, was born in Greencastle, Franklin county, Pa., and educated in Paris, France, and London, England, in elementary schools in Dresden, Saxony, and Neuwied-on-the-Rhine, Prussia (Moravian Brethren's School) for his high school course, also attending, later, the School of Technology, Munich, Bavaria, and the School of Arts, Athens, Greece. He studied philology, archaeology, history, philosophy, etc., at the Royal University of Munich, Bavaria, at Princeton college, Princeton, N. J., and at the John Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md. He received the degrees of master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Munich in June, 1881; was fellow in Greek at Johns Hopkins, 1882-84, and instructor in classical archaeology in the same university during 1884-85. Was professor of Latin at Miami University, Oxford. O., 1887-88, professor of Greek at Lake Forest University, Ill., 1888-91. Some of Professor EMERSON's literary work is comprised in the following: Doctorate dissertation De Hercule Homerico, Munich, 1881; Recent Progress in Classical Archaeology, Boston, 1890; contributor to The Nation, to the American Journal of Philology, to the American Journal of Archaeology, and to Johnson's Universal Encyclopaedia. He came to Cornell in 1891, and has organized the university collection of plaster casts, of which he is curator. July 18, 1887, he married Alice Louisa, daughter of Henry S. EDWARDS, of Hinsdale, Ill., and they have two children: Edith, born July 17, 1888, and Gertrude, born May 6, 1890. The ancestry of the EMERSON family is Anglo-Irish, the grandfathers being James EMERSON, born in Cuba in 1800; and Samuel D. INGHAM, born in Pennsylvania in 1874, who was President JACKSON's first secretary of the treasury.
FUERTES, Estevan Antonio, was born at St. John's, Porto Rico, W. I., and received his education at Porto Rico, Spain, and the United States. He graduated from the Conciliar Seminary, St. Yldefonso, St. Juan Seminary, Salamanca Jurisdiction, and Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, receiving the degrees of bachelor of philosophy, doctor of philosophy, doctor of medicine, civil engineer, and having many diplomas, prizes and decorations. Professor FUERTES has been the author of many municipal and governmental reports, with monographs and other contributions to scientific societies and periodicals. He came to Cornell in 1873 as dean of the department of civil engineering, of which college he is now director and professor of the same. To him is due the introduction of laboratory work in connection with technical courses in civil engineering. December 21, 1860, he married Mary Stone PERRY, daughter of Amos S. PERRY, of Vermont, and Sarah HILLHOUSE, of New York, and their children are: Estevan J., James Hillhouse, civil engineer, George (deceased), Sarah Demetria, Louis Agassiz, and Mary Katherine. The ancestry of our subject is from the families of Fuertes, Charbonnier, Córdova, Padilla, O'Neil, Catalá, Bobouslauski and Ahern.
HART, James Morgan, was born November 2, 1839, at Princeton, N. J, was educated in the public schools of Philadelphia, Pa., finishing at the Central High School in 1857. He graduated in 1860 from Princeton College, with the degree of A.B.; in 1863 with the degree of A.M., and from Göttingen, Germany, in 1864, with the degree of Juris Utriusque Doctor. Also studied again in 1872-73 in Leipzig, Marburg, and Berlin, and in 1886 at Tübingen. He taught at Cornell, 1868-72, as assistant-professor of modern languages; Cincinnati, 1876-90, as professor of modern languages and English literature; 1890 to date, as professor of rhetoric and English philology in Cornell. In June, 1883, he married Clara DOHERTY, of Cincinnati. His parents were John Seely HART and Amelia C. MORFORD; his father was principal of the Central High School at Philadelphia, of the New Jersey State Normal and Model Schools of Trenton, and professor of English at Princeton. The literary work done by Professor HART is comprised in the following: Books: The Amazon, translated from the German of Franz DINGELSTEDT, New York, Putnam, 1868; CAVÉ on Color, translated from the French, New York, Putnam, 1869; The Family and the Church, edited by L. W. BACON, translated, The Church, six sermons by Father HYACINTH, pages 165-262; Pastoral Letter of Bishop DUPANLOUP, pages 293-343, New York, Putnam, 1870; LAUGEL, England Political and Social, translated from the French, New York, Putnam, 1874; German Universities, etc., New York, Putnam, 1874; German Classics (with introduction and notes), a) Herman u. Dorothea, 1875; b) Piccolomini, 1875; c) GOETHE's Prose (Selections), 1876; d) Faust, first part, 1878, New York, Putnam; Syllabus of Anglo Saxon Literature, Robert Clark & Co., Cincinnati, 1881. Magazine articles-University Life in Germany, Putnam's Magazine, 1868; Ascent of Monte Rosa, Putnam's Magazine, 1869; SHAKESPEARE in German of To-Day, Putnam's Magazine, 1870; The Higher Education in America, Galaxy, 1871; Modern Languages in the American College, 1872, Galaxy; Cornell University, The Century, 1873; Vienna and the Centennial, International Review, 1875; Professor and Teacher, Lippincott's, 1876; The College Student, Lippincott's, 1876; Berlin and Vienna, Lippincott's, 1876; Higher Education, Lippincott's, 1876; Celtic and Germanic, American Journal of Philology, vol. I. Also some shorter papers and book reviews, in American Journal of Philology, and others in Modern Language Notes. To the New York Nation, many hundred pages of articles and book reviews; to the School Review, several papers, notably the one on Regents' English, in the first number, which has induced the regents to introduce a thorough reform in this department. He is engaged at present in preparing a manual of English composition for High Schools, in hopes of introducing better methods. He is also accumulating material for a full (perhaps complete) dictionary of Anglo-Saxon.
HITCHCOCK, Edward, jr., was born in Stratford, Conn., September 1, 1854, was educated at Bridgeport, Conn., at Easthampton, Mass., Amherst College, the medical course at Dartmouth College, and the Bellevue Medical College at New York city. He graduated in 1878 from Amherst with the degree of A.B., and in 1881 of A.M., in 1881 from Dartmouth with the degree of M.D., and taught at Amherst College in 1881-84, at the Massachusetts State Agricultural College in 1882-84. His literary work is comprised in various magazines, articles on subjects belonging to physical culture, anthropometry, etc. He came to Cornell, February 23, 1884, as acting professor of physical education, his present position being professor of physical culture and hygiene, and director of the gymnasium. Professor HITCHCOCK married Ida I. BERING, daughter of J. E. BERING, of Decatur, Ill. She died in October, 1884, and he married second, in 1888 (June 20), Sarah Demetria FUERTES. His children are: Edward Bering HITCHCOCK, by his first wife, and Mary Katharine HITCHCOCK, by his present wife. His grandfather, Edward HITCHCOCK, was president of Amherst College, in which his father, Edward HITCHCOCK, was also professor. His mother was Mary Lewis JUDSON.
HUFFCUT, Ernest Wilson, professor of law in the Cornell University Law School, was born in Kent, Litchfield county, Conn., November 21, 1860. In 1865 his parents removed to New York, in which State they have since resided. He was fitted for college in the public schools, at Afton, N. Y., and entered Cornell in 1880, graduating in 1884 with the degree of B.S. During the next year he acted as private secretary to President WHITE, upon whose resignation, in 1885, he became instructor in English. This position he held three years, meantime studying law and graduating with the first class from the Law School in 1888. In the fall of that year Mr. HUFFCUT removed to Minneapolis, where he practiced law for two years, serving most of the time as judge advocate-general of the State. In 1890 he accepted the position of professor of law in Indiana University, and in 1892 in Northwestern University, Chicago. In 1893 he was called as professor of law at Cornell, which position he still holds. Mr. HUFFCUT has been a frequent contributor to legal periodicals and periodicals devoted to political science. He is deeply interested in public questions, is an enthusiastic Republican, and has taken part in almost every national or State campaign since he attained his majority. On the appointment of ex-President WHITE as minister to Russia, Mr. HUFFCUT was strongly urged for the position of secretary of legation, but owing to his engagement with Northwestern University Law School was obliged to withdraw his name from consideration.
JENKS, Jeremiah W., was born September 2, 1856, at St. Clair, Mich. He was educated in the district school, the High School, University of Michigan, and in Germany. He graduated from the University of Michigan with the degree of A.B. in 1878, A. M. in 1879, received the degree Ph.D. in 1885, from the University of Halle, Germany. He has taught at Mr. Morris College, Il,; Peoria High School, Ill.; Knox College, Galesburg, Ill.; Indiana State University, Bloomington, Ind.; and at Cornell University. Professor JENKS has written the following works: Henry C. CAREY als National-ökonom, Jena, 1885; Road Legislation for the American State, American Economic Association, 1889; The Michigan Salt Association, Political Science Quarterly, March 1888; Development of the Whiskey Trust, ibid, June, 1889; School Book Legislation, ibid, March 1891; A Critique of Educational Values, Educational Review, January, 1892; Die "Trusts" in den Vereinigten Staaten Nord Amerikas, Jahrbücher Für National-Okonomie und Statistik, January, 1891; translated and republished with additions in Economic Journal, London, March, 1892; Money in Elections, Century Magazine, October, 1892; Suppression of Bribery in England, ibid, March, 1889; A Greek Prime Minister, Charilaos Tricoupis, Atlantic Monthly, March 1894; Articles on Ballot Reform, Lobby Methods of Law Making, Monopolies, Primary Elections, Political Science, Representation, in Johnson's New Cyclopedia, several articles in Palgrave's Dictionary of Political Economy, besides many lesser articles, book reviews, etc. He came to Cornell in 1891, in the capacity of professor of political, municipal and social institutions. August 28, 1884, he married Georgia BIXLER, and their children are: Margaret Bixler, Benjamin Lane, and Ernest Ellsworth. The ancestry of the family was originally Welsh, and came to Massachusetts in 1642, settling in Rhode Island. Later the branch of the family to which Mr. JENKS belongs moved to New Hampshire. His father went from there to New York, and then to Michigan.
JONES, George W., was born in Corinth, Me., in 1837, and was educated at Yale College, from which he graduated in 1859, with the degrees of A.B. and A. M. in 1862. From 1859 to 1862 he taught in General Russell's Military School at New Haven, Conn., from 1862 to 1868 in the Delaware Literary Institute at Franklin, N. Y.; from 1868 to 1873 in the Iowa State Agricultural College at Ames, Iowa. The literary work done by him comprises Oliver, Wait & Jones Treatise on Algebra and on Trigonometry, with others; Jones's Logarithmic Tables; and Jones's Drill-book in Algebra. He came to Cornell University in 1877 as assistant professor of mathematics, his present position being associate professor of mathematics. In 1862 he married Caroline T. BARBER, the daughter of the historian, John W. BARBER. His ancestors were of pure American stock.
MORRIS, John Lewis, was born in Utica, N. Y., educated in Whitestown Seminary, Ovid Academy, and Union College, graduated from the Union College of Schenectady, N. Y., with the degrees of A.B., C.E., July, 1856, and the degree of A.M. in 1860. He came to Cornell in September, 1868, as professor of mechanic arts, a position he still fills. He married, September 1, 1856, Louise A. SUTTON, of Romulus, Seneca county. The ancestry of this family is Welch.
THURSTON, Robert H., was born in Providence, R. I., October 25, 1839, educated in the public schools of the city and at Brown University, graduating from the latter institution with the degrees of Ph.B. and C.E. in 1859; later (1869) M.A. and (1889) LL.D. from the same institution. He practiced engineering until the outbreak of the war, 1861; then entered the Navy Engineer Corps, and at the close of the war was ordered to duty at the United States Naval Academy, serving there six years as assistant professor of natural and experimental philosophy, and for some time as head of that department; then resigning, taught at the Stevens Institute of Technology fourteen years, then at Cornell since 1885. He came to Cornell, July 1, 1885, as director of Sibley College and professor of mechanical engineering, which position he still fills. His literary work has been as follows: (See biographical sketch in Men and Women of the Time), Contributions Johnson's Cyclopedia, Appleton's Cyclopedia, Dictionary of Biography, translations of various learned societies, some fifteen volumes of technical work, etc., etc. He married, October 5, 1865, Susan T. GLADDING, of Providence, R. I., who died March 31, 1878, and second Leonora BOUGHTON, of New York, August 4, 1880. He has three children: Harriet Taylor, Olive Gladding, Leonora Thurston. The ancestry of the family is old North-English and Northman stock, presumably descended from THORSTEIN, connected with the stock of THURSTON of York, etc.; the first in this country being the Edward THURSTON family of Newport, R. I., coming to America in 1637 or 1638. (See THURSTON Genealogies in the C. U. Library).
TITCHENER, Edward Bradford, was born in Chichester, England, January 11, 1867, and was educated at private schools, the Prebendal school at Chichester, and at Great Malvern College. He was graduated from the Oxford University in 1889 with the degree of B. A.; and M.A. in 1894; University of Leipzig with the degree of Ph.D. in 1892, F. Z. S., member of the Neurological Society of London, member of the American Psychological Association, and coeditor of Mind. Professor TITCHENER taught in the summer school at Oxford in 1892 (Biology); Cornell University (Psychology); summer school, Cornell, 1893-(Cerebral Physiology, Psychology and Physical Culture). He has contributed various articles and reviews to Mind, Brain, Nature, the Philosophische Studien, the New York Medical Records, the Philosophical Review, the American Journal of Psychology, etc. He came to Cornell in the autumn of 1892 as assistant professor of psychology, and director of the psychological laboratory, which position he now fills. He is of English ancestry.
TUTTLE, Herbert, was born in Bennington, Vt., November 29, 1846, educated at Bennington, Hoosic Falls, Rensselaer county, N. Y., Burlington, Vt., graduating from the University of Vermont in 1869 with the degree of A.B.; A.M. in 1880 and honorary L.H.D. in 1889; also studied irregularly at the University of Paris and of Berlin. He taught at the Unviersity of Michigan in 1880, and Cornell University in 1881. His literary works have been: German Political Leader, 1 vol., New York and London, 1876, and three volumes on the history of Prussia, from the earliest times to the outbreak of the Seven Years' War. The author is now at work on the continuation of the "Prussia" to the death of Frederic the GREAT in 1786. He came to Cornell in 1881 as lecturer on international law, etc., and at present is professor of modern European history. He married in 1876 Mary McArthur THOMPSON, of Hillsborough, O. He comes from the TUTTLE and BOYNTON stock, the former originally English, the latter probably Dutch. So far as their American origin can be traced, the TUTTLES came from Connecticut, the BOYNTONS from the Dutch settlement in Rensselaer county, or from Massachusetts.
TYLER, Charles Mellen, was born in Limington, Me., in 1831, and thence removed to Boston, Mass.; was educated at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., and entered Yale University in 1851, from which he graduated in 1855 with the degree of A.B. He received afterward the degree of A.M., and in 1892 the degree of D.D., from Yale. Professor TYLER was a member of the Massachusetts Legislature in 1861. He entered the army and served in the battle of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, and around Petersburg. He first settled in Natick, near Boston, as pastor for nine years, then became pastor of a church in Chicago for six years. After the fire he left that city and settled in Ithaca in 1872, as pastor of the First Congregational Church until 1892. He was for several years a trustee of Cornell Unviersity. He was appointed professor of the history and philosophy of religion and Christian ethics in 1891 in Cornell University. He is a member of the Loyal Legion of the United States, a military order formed by Generals Grant, Sherman and others. Professor TYLER's literary work is comprised in the following: Various publications in reviews, magazines, etc., and a contribution to Professor Pfleiderer's "Philosophy of Religion," published in Berlin. In 1857 he married Miss Ellen A. DAVIS, of New Haven, Conn. His second marriage was with Miss Kate E. STARK, formerly professor of music in Syracuse University, in 1892. He has two children by his first wife: Mrs. James Fraser GLUCK, of Buffalo, and Beatrice D. TYLER, of Ithaca. He comes from Scotch and English ancestors. His great-grandfather served in the French and Indian war, and was wounded at Ticonderoga, and his grandfather was an officer under Washington in the Revolution.
WAIT, Lucien Augustus, was born February 8, 1846, at Highgale, Vt., educated at Phillips Exeter Academy and Harvard University, graduating from the latter in 1870 with the degree of A.B. He came to Cornell in 1870 as assistant professor of mathematics. He was made associate professor of mathematics in 1877, and full professor in 1891. He married August 12, 1873, Anna J. DOLLOFF, and their children are: Olga Athena, Alice Dolloff, and Zeta (deceased). Professor WAIT's father was Norval Douglas WAIT, and mother, Marion Sarah WILSON. Mr. WAIT was United States consul at Athens and Peiraeus, Greece, in 1873-74.
WHITE, Horatio Stevens, was born in Syracuse, N. Y., April 23, 1852, educated in the public schools, graduate of the High School in 1868, studied with Rev. S. R. CALTHROP in 1868-69, graduated from Harvard College in 1873 with the degree of A.B., and studied and traveled in Europe in 1872-73, 1873-75, 1881, 1883, 1886-87, 1894. He taught private pupils at various times between 1872 and 1876, when he began teaching in Cornell University. His literary work has been as follows: Selections from Lessing's Prose, 1888; Otis's Elementary German, sixth edition, 1889; Selections from Heine's Poems, 1890; German Prose Composition, 1891; Deutsche Volkslieder, 1892. Contributor to various American, English and German periodicals. He came to Cornell University in September, 1876, as assistant professor of Greek and Latin. He is at present professor of the German language and literature, and dean of the general faculty. He married June 14, 1883, Fanny Clary GOTT, of Syracuse, and their children are: Joseph Lyman and Dorothy. The ancestry of the family is of New England and English descent.
WILDER, Burt Green, B.S., M.D., neurologist and comparative anatomist, was born in Boston, Mass., August 11, 1841. From Nicholas, who in 1497 received from HENRY VII the estate of Shiplake on the Thames, with a coat of arms, he is descended through Thomas, whose widow, Martha, came to America with her children in 1638. His grandfather, David, of Leominster, Mass., published a history of that town, served as State treasurer and in the Legislature, and was the first in his vicinity to break the custom of providing liquor in the harvest field. His father, also David, and member of the Legislature, was State auditor. Inheriting on the paternal side a tendency to seek new facts and to devise original methods; from his mother, a BURT of Longmeadow, the subject of the present sketch has derived a disposition at once active and cautious, an unwillingness to sacrifice principle to expediency, and a tenderness towards animals which has prevented his hunting or fishing for sport, and restricted his physiological experiments to such as are painless. When he was four years old the family removed to Bookline, Mass. Impressed by the newspaper accounts of the hanging of Professor WEBSTER for the murder of Dr. PARKMAN in 1850, he tested the method upon himself, and the experiment would have ended fatally but for the approach of another person. His natural history studies began at the age of fourteen, with recorded observations upon living spiders. They were brought to the notice of the elder AGASSIZ by an assistant, James E. MILLS, and led to an invitation to visit the great naturalist. Encouraged also by the principal of the High School, J. E. HOAR, Harv. 1852, and in company with Carleton A., son of Samuel A SHURTLEFF, young WILDER made extensive collections of insects, some of which are still preserved in the Cornell University Museum. A walnut cabinet for them was earned by writing for the Worcester Railroad, of which his father was then auditor. The last two years at the High School was devoted to Latin and Greek, and in the fall of 1859 he entered the Lawrence Scientific School (Harvard) as a special student of comparative anatomy, with Jeffries WYMAN, although attending, also, courses by AGASSIZ and GRAY. He became self-supporting early in 1861. He was elected to the Boston Society of Natural History December 7, 1859; served a year as president of the Agassiz Zoological Club, and gave the annual address before the Harvard Natural History Society. In 1860 he gave a few public lectures upon DU CHAILLU's African collections, but soon persuaded the explorer that he could do this more acceptably himself. Immediately after receiving the degree of B.S. (in anatomia [s]umma cum laude), upon the invitation of Dr. F. H. BROWN, he entered Judiciary Square Hospital, Washington, D. C., as acting medical cadet. The hospital experience and hard study under Dr. BROWN's directions, enabled him to pass the examinations as Medical Cadet U. S. A. In May, 1863, he passed the examination as licentiate of the Massachusetts Medical Society, and was appointed assistant surgeon of the 55th Massachusetts Infantry (colored). In this capacity, and later as surgeon, he served until the regiment was discharged, in September, 1865. While stationed on Folly Island, near Charleston, S. C., August 20, 1863, he discovered a large and handsome spider (since named Nephila Wileri by MCCOOK) from which, while alive, he reeled of one hundred and fifty yards of yellow silk. At the close of the war accounts of this spider were presented to scientific bodies, in lectures before the Lowell Institute, and, at the suggestion of Dr. Oliver Wendell HOLMES, in the Atlantic Monthly for August, 1866. Although not intending to practice, he attended medical courses at Dartmouth and Harvard, and received the degree of M.D. at the latter, his thesis being read at the Commencement, March 7, 1866. In October of the same year he became assistant in comparative anatomy at the Museum of Comparative Zoology, under an arrangement with Professor AGASSIZ, by which his time was equally divided between the anatomy of sharks and rays and more general studies. While at the museum he served for a year as curator of herpetology in the Boston Society of Natural History, and in the winter of 1867-68 he gave a course of university lectures on "The morphological value and relations of the human hand." In 1867 he described what is now known as the "slip system of notes," and in 1885 the use of "correspondence slips": was suggested. His election as professor of zoology in Cornell University at Ithaca took place September 26, 1867; but the university did not open until the following fall. During his connection with Cornell, he has also been professor of physiology in the Medical School of Maine (1874-84), and has lectured on that subject in the medical department of the University of Michigan (1876-77). In 1877 he was selected as chief of the scientific staff of the unrealized "Woodruff expedition around the world;" was lecturer (1873-74) on the comparative anatomy of vertebrates at the "Anderson Summer School of Natural History," and has lectured before the Lowell Institute in Boston, institutes in New York, Brooklyn, Chicago, and other cities, and the alumni association of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York, 1884. He is a member of several scientific bodies; was delegate to the American Medical Association (1880), and in 1885 vice-president of the American Association ofor the Advancement of Science (biological section), and in the same year president of the American Neurological Association. He has tried to improve and extend preliminary medical education, especially from the practical side. With the cooperation of the first president of Cornell University, Andrew D. WHITE, prominence has always been given to physiology and hygiene, and until 1889 Dr. WILDER lectured upon the latter subject as well, and his little "Emergencies," and "Health Notes for Students," are required for admission, together with elementary physiology. With Prof. S. H. GAGE, he is author of "Anatomical Technology as applied to the Domestic Cat," 1882-86-92. His other writings embrace about one hundred and twenty technical papers, about fifty reviews, mostly in the New York Nation, and about fifty articles, mostly illustrated, in various magazines. The following are representative publications: Muscles of the Chimpanzee, 1861; Intermembral Homologies, 1871; The Brain of the Cat, 881; Garpikes, Old and Young, 1877; The Triangle Spider, 1875; Educational Museums of Vertebrates, 1885; Jeffiries Wyman, 1874; Should Comparative Anatomy be Included in a Medical Course? Is Nature Inconsistent? 1876; The Brain of the Ceratodus, 1887; The Gross Anatomy of the Brain; Wood's Reference Handbook, 1889-1893. Since 1883 he has given much time to the simplification of anatomical nomenclature, mainly along lines indicated by Barclay and Owen, viz., (1) to replace ambiguous descriptive (toponymic) terms referring to the erect human body by intrinsic and explicit terms (ventral, dorsal, etc.) applicable alike to all vertebrates in any position; (2) to replace polonyms (names consisting of two or more words) by mononyms capable of inflection as adjectives, and of adoption without essential change into other languages (paronymy); representative new terms proposed by him are: Meson and Mesal, ectal and ental, porta (for foramen of Monro), postpeduncle (for posterior peduncle) alinjection (for alcoholic injection), paronym and heteronym.
His lectures are based on compact notes, which are annually re-cast and supplied to the class. The comparatively modern system of the actual study of specimens by general classes, in the shape of practicums, as distinguished from regular laboratory work, has been carried to a high degree in his department. His chief anatomical theses are the symmetrical relations of the two ends of the body; the greater morphological value of the heart and the brain, as compared with the skeleton or other organs, and of the brain cavities as compared with their walls; the primitive and morphological subordination of the cerebrum proper to the olfactory portion of the brain; the advantages of foetal over monkey brains for the elucidation of the human cerebral fissures; the desirability of determining the fissural pattern by the comparison of many brains of moral and educated persons. Through his influence several such have been secured for Cornell University, or promised in writing by students, graduates, officers, or other friends of the institution. The vertebrate division of the University Museum, of which he is curator, consists largely of specimens prepared by him or his assistants and students, and contains a thousand preparations of the vertebrate brain and many preparations of other hollow organs, which are in most cases injected with alcohol (alinjected); an effort is made to illustrate evolution, natural classification, and important functions, by a comparatively small number of specimens, well prepared, displayed and explained. The museum was characterized by an expert in the Fiske will case as the "most perfect in detail" that he had ever seen. As a college officer, his uncompromising antagonism to secret organizations, intercollegiate athletics, class spirit, public smoking, stamping in the class rooms, and the retention of other than earnest students, has made him far from popular with a certain set; but the studious and well-disposed come to him with confidence. Among those who ascribe special inspiration to their work in his laboratory, the following are widely known as naturalists or physicians: David S. JORDAN, John Henry COMSTOCK, Simon H. GAGE, Hermann M. BIGGS, Milton Josiah ROBERTS, Theobald SMITH, Eugene R. CORSON, William C. KRAURS, Charles G. WAGNER. The first has been a trustee of the university, and the second and third have charge of important branches of Professor WILDER's original department.
At the celebration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the opening of Cornell, October 7, 1893, there was presented to Professor WILDER a "Quarter-Century Book," a volume of 500 pages, 26 plates, 36 figures in the text, and a portrait. It comprises papers prepared for the occasion by fifteen of his former pupils. The ceremony is believed to have been the first of a kind at an English-speaking university.
He has advocated temperance as distinguished from total abstinence, painless experiments upon animals as a means of general instruction, the removal of the appendix from all young children, and the use of chloroform as a lethal agent for condemned criminals and animals. He is an evolutionist and a member of the New Church (Swedenborgian denomination). June 9, 1868, he married Sarah Cowell, daughter of Dr. William NICHOLS, of Boston.
Thank you Virginia Peterson for transcribing these records into digital format.
You are our
visitor since March 21, 2002.
Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright by Janet M. Nash and Johnna Armstrong
for the contributors of the material on these pages.
All Rights Reserved.