This page is a part of the Tompkins Co., NYGenWeb Site. Not for commercial use. All Rights Reserved.

Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York

by John H. Selkreg, 1894; D. Mason & Co., Publisher

PREFACE

With each passing year the task of preparing a history of any locality becomes more and more difficult. Those from whom historical facts can only be obtained, pass away; manuscripts and memoranda are lost or destroyed, and their disappearance involves unusual labor in obtaining necessary data from other sources. It is the aim of the author of this volume to arrange and present in comprehensive form such information as could be secured through diligent effort, to the end that an authentic History of Tompkins County might be presented to the public. A residence of fifty-three years in Ithaca furnishes the writer with much in the line of personal knowledge, and his acquaintance in the past with men prominent in public affairs here, leads him to hope that this work may reach a fair degree of accuracy, and add something to former publications.

In preparation of this history the author desires to acknowledge the great assistance rendered him by others-too many in number to name here; and he feels that whatever measure of success has been reached, credit therefor belongs to many compilers and writers who have associated with him in the work, rather than to himself alone.

J. H. SELKREG.
Ithaca, 1894.

You are our visitor since May 06, 2002.
Thanks for stopping by!

© Copyright by the Tompkins County NYGenWeb Coordinators
for the contributors of the material on these pages.
All Rights Reserved.

Return to Landmarks of Tompkins County page
Return to Tompkins County home page