This page is a part of the Tompkins Co., NYGenWeb Site. Not for commercial use. All Rights Reserved.
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
by John H. Selkreg, 1894; D. Mason & Co., Publisher
Part III - Family Sketches
STEARNS, Joseph W., who is well remembered in this vicinity as having been for many years the faithful pastor of the now extinct Christian church near West Groton, was a native of Westhampton, Mass., born February 21, 1808. He was the son of Stockwell and Seviah (WILCOTT) STEARNS and the second of their nine children. The young life of our subject was passed in his native State, where his father was a shoemaker, and he learned to work at whatever presented itself for him to do. He educated himself and later on entered the ministry. He came to West Groton at an early day where he took the pastorale of the Christian church, and at the same time interested himself in the welfare of those about him, and was particularly active during the days of the agitation of the abolition of slavery, he being one of the most earnest advocates of that measure. More than this, his house was the refuge of escaping negroes, and no man did more to facilitate the freedom of the refugees than Mr. STEARNS. His life was a success from every point of view, and he held the respect and esteem of the entire community. He died in April, 1888, aged eighty years, and a little later (September l4, 1889) his wife followed him to the grave. Joseph W. STEARNS married Amenda, daughter of pioneer Isaac ALLEN, and to them were born three children: Joseph W., now a clergyman residing in Huntersland, N.Y.; Alvin Stuart, remembered as a merchant and produce dealer, and also postmaster at West Groton, and who died April 18, 1892; and Eugene A., the enterprising quarryman and farmer of West Groton. The latter was born May 3, 1847, and now lives on a part of the old home farm of his grandsire, Isaac ALLEN, the site of the first ALLEN log cabin being only a few rods distant from Mr. STEARNS's house. In 1871 Eugene A. STEARNS married Sarah Jane ROCKAFELLER, of Onondaga County. They have one child.
STEPHENS, Clements T., was born in Ithaca in 1849, only surviving son of Philip STEPHENS. He was educated at the High School, Clinton, N.Y., and at Briar Cliff Military School on the Hudson. In 1878 he bought out the firm of E. C. GREGG, agricultural implements and seeds, and located there until the summer of 1893, when he removed to the corner of Aurora and State streets, and has changed his line from agricultural to stoves and house furnishings. In 1889 he bought the East Hill Coal Yard of Harmon Hill, which he still conducts, in connection with his other business. He is a member of Fidelity Lodge, F. &. A. M,, Eagle Chapter, Ithaca Council, St. Augustine Commandery. In 1881 he married Susan M. HIBBARD, and they have one son, Fitch Hibbard STEPHENS, a student in the grammer school.
STEPHENS, Henry, born in Gloustershire, England, March 24, 1838, and was eleven years of age when his parents came to this country. William, the father, was a mason by trade, and located in Auburn for a short time, then moved to Ithaca, where he followed his trade till his death in 1879, aged seventy-two years; his wife died in 1890, aged ninety-three years. Of their six children, Henry W. was next to the youngest. He was educated in the old Lancastrian School and his first occupation was with his father. After a short time he went to learn the printer's trade, which he followed till the breaking out of the war. September 25, 1862, he enlisted in the 137th New York Volunteers, and saw service with this regiment till the battle of Gettysburg, where he was seriously wounded, from the effects of which he lay in hospital until May of the next year, when he was discharged and returned to Ithaca. In 1865 he entered the employ of the D. L. & W. R. R., and for twenty-one years he filled the position of telegraph dispatcher for this company. In 1885 he resigned this position, and the same year bought the general grocery store of T. S. CULVER, at the corner of Aurora and Marshall streets, where he has ever since been in business. Mr. STEPHENS is a member of Hobasco Lodge No. 716, F. & A. M. In February, 1858, he married Julia A. CAREY, of Romulus, Seneca county, and they have four children: Henry E., a machinist of Elgin, Ill., Will B., an artist, Mrs. Julia E. JUDD, and Clara B.
STEPHENS, J. L., was born in Ithaca, April 5, 1826. The father, J. L. STEPHENS, sr., was a native of Connecticut, who moved to Ithaca, where he carried on the cooperage business in connection with his farm. He moved to Caroline in 1840, and in 1848 moved to Dryden, retiring from active work, and there he died in 1856. He. married Lydia REYNOLDS, her parents being natives of Connecticut, and they had seven children, our subject being the sixth. In early life the latter worked at coopering in the town Dryden. He has worked chiefly, however, at farming, owning a farm in the town Dryden, which he sold in 1853. He then moved into Danby, and then sold and moved to his present place in Slaterville Springs. He married in 1853, Katie, daughter of Jacob HAZEN of Dryden, and they have two sons and a daughter, who received their location in the district schools, two of them being married and away from home and one son living at home. They are members of the M. E. Church at Slaterville.
STEPHENS, Jesse W., was born in England, June 3, 1845. His father, John L., emigrated to this country in 1849 and after spending one year in Quebec, Canada, he moved to Ithaca and with his brother, Thomas, established a marble and monumental yard on S. Tioga Street. He dissolved partnership after several years and located where the grocery of J. W. STEPHENS now stands on State Street. John E. STEPHENS died at the age of fifty-nine. Since J. W. was five years of age he has made his home in this town. He was educated in the old Lancastrian school and his first occupation was as a marble cutter in his father's shop. He was only sixteen years of age when the war broke out, and August 16, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, 137th Regiment, New York Volunteers, to serve for three years or during the war. He saw service in the battle of Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and other minor engagements, and was then transferred to the Twelfth Corps and from there to the Twentieth Corps, which joined SHERMAN in his march to the sea. He was dispatch bearer for General GEARY, division commander, and General GREEN, brigade commander, and was discharged June 9, 1865. On his return he resumed his trade and worked on the CORNELL house, also Andrew D. WHITE's house, and did the lettering on some of the College buildings. In 1873 he established a grocery on 78 Cascadilla Street, and in a few years moved to Eddy Street, starting the first store there, which he afterward sold to George FROST, and returned to Cascadilla Street. He sold this store on Cascadilla Street and took the store left by D.B. STEWART on State Street, which he conducted but a short time and sold to Moses SHEPARD. During this time he bought and sold several other small concerns. In 1892 he bought out the store of his brother, George STEPHENS at 110 W. State Street, which he conducted in connection with his Cascadilla street store. His line is groceries and dry goods and meats in winter time. In politics he is a Republican and in 1887 was the candidate for alderman, taking the second nomination only four days before election and defeated by only four votes. The following year he was elected by 144 majority in a Democratic ward. For the past seven years he has been a vestryman of St. John's Episcopal church and a member of the Masonic fraternity, Hobasco Lodge No. 716, of which he is the junior warden, Eagle Chapter, Ithaca Council, St. Augustine Cornmandery. He has passed all chairs of the Knights of Pythias and vice-chancellor the year of the Grand Lodge meeting in this city, and the next year was elected chancellor commander. He is a member of Sidney Post, G. A. R. He was married in Guilford, Conn., in June, 1867, to Mary HARRIGAN, and they are the parents of six children, two sons and four daughters.
STEPHENS, Philip, was born in Alsace, Germany, February 12, 1819, and came to America in 1837, first locating in New York, where he remained two years, then moved to Ulster county and followed various employments till 1842. That year he removed to Ithaca and established a market and butchering business. For many years he did a wholesale and shipping business, especially in pork. He was first located on State street, where the Alhambra now is, and from there moved opposite the Tompkins County Bank, where he occupied a small building for a time, until he was burned out, then he moved to the corner of Tioga and State streets. In 1850 he moved to East State Street, where here he bought the store he has since occupied. Mr. STEPHENS is a member of the I. O. O. F., Ithaca Lodge. He was married to Elizabeth KETCHEN, of Enfield, and they have one son and two daughters.
STEPHENS, Thomas J., was born in Cheltham, England, October 16, 1845, and came across the water when ten years of age. His father, Thomas, located in Quebec for two years, and it was there that our subject's mother died, and October 16, 1857, they removed to Ithaca, where Mr. STEPHENS established a marble yard on South Tioga Street, where INGERSOLL's livery now is. Mr. STEPHENS was first in partnership with his brother John, but in 1859 they dissolved, and Thomas bought the corner where the Bates Block now stands, at the corner of Seneca and Aurora streets, where he continued in business until his death on November 22, 1869. Mr. STEPHENS was always a staunch supporter of the Republican Party, but never aspired to office. A daughter, Mrs. W. N. SANDBORN, is a resident of Ithaca. Thomas J. was educated in the old Lancasterian School, and before he had completed his education the war broke out, and December 20, 1863, he enlisted in the 21st N.Y. Cavalry and was with the Army of the Shenandoah in all of their important engagements. During the latter part of his service he was acting chief bugler of his regiment. On his return to Ithaca he was employed with his father until the death of the latter, when he took charge of the shop, which in 1872 he removed to another location, and in 1874 he again moved to his present location on Tioga street, buying two lots. He has acquired a reputation as a granite worker, which has given him a very extensive trade all over the State. He was the contractor for the soldier's monument in Ithaca among others. He is now serving his sixth year as adjutant of Sidney Post G.A.R. He is a member of the R. A., and is secretary and treasurer of the local branch of the Atlantic Savings and Loan Association of Syracuse. In 1869 he married Sarah, daughter of the late James McBRIDE, a grocer of this city, and they have one daughter, Florence Marion, a student at the High School.
STEVENS, John, was born in Washington county, N.Y., November 2, 1785, and died April 6, 1866. When a young man he came to Groton and bought (about 1816) a fifty-acre tract of land, part of the home farm now owned by his son Nelson, and in a small way the pioneer began his farming career in this county. Later on he added to his farm and became known as one of the most persevering and energetic men of the town. On coming to the tract Mr. STEVENS had only one pair of oxen, and his wife owned one cow, and these were fed through the first winter mainly on "browse." John STEVENS married, February 13, 1805, Polly WILSON, by whom he had these children: James, Volney, Harriet, Louisa, Amanda and Marilla. Polly STEVENS died July 13, 1822, and all of their children are also now dead. The second wife of John was Mary, widow of Simeon CONGER, and of this marriage four children were born: Mary, Laura, John and Nelson. Nelson STEVENS was born December 10, 1830, in the house in which he now lives, where his entire life has been spent, although he has somewhat increased the acreage of the farm and enlarged and remodeled the buildings. Nelson STEVENS is known as one of the leading men of Groton. In 1859 he was elected justice of the peace, and with the exception of eight years has held that office to the present time. In 1889, and again in 1890, he was elected to the Assembly, and in both sessions he filled the office with credit to himself and his constituency. He was also for five years supervisor of Groton. On November 21, 1856, he married Laura M. CONGER, by whom he has had six children: Mary S., wife of Lorenzo BUCKLEY of Columbus, O.; Eveline, who died an infant; Fred C., who died aged seven; John, who died at three; Herman C. and Herbert J. (twins), both of Groton.
STEVENS, Smith D., was born August 5, 1833, in the town of Caroline, and was the son of Harvey STEPHENS, who came from Ridgefield, Conn., to the town of Caroline in 1816, was educated in the district schools and finished at the Ithaca Academy, under Professor S. D. CARR. After leaving school returned to his father's farm. At the age of twenty-three he married Lucy M., daughter of D. MARSH, of the town of Danby, and they have one son, Fred A., living at home. Our subject is one of the prominent farmers of the town, owning 200 acres of fine land, which he devotes to the raising of hay, grain and stock, making a specialty of the breeding of pure Berkshire swine and Shropshire sheep. He is a Republican, and has served as assessor six years and as supervisor two years. Both he and his father have always been identified with all the leading movements of the town.
STEWART, David B., the first mayor of the city of Ithaca, was born in the town of Newfield, second son of Horace S. STEWART, who was a native of Delaware county and came to Tompkins county in 1808 with his parents and has resided in the town of Newfield ever since, now living about half a mile from Newfield village. The early life of our subject was spent in the town of his birth, attending common school and assisting on the farm. He was also a student of the old Ithaca Academy and Cazenovia Seminary. He followed various employments, but mostly in mercantile and manufacturing business until 1867, when he moved to Ithaca and established at No. 7 East State, a wholesale and retail grocery, bakery, confectionery and cigar manufactory, which he conducted for fourteen years. In 1882 he sold this business, and with Mr. S. H. WINTON engaged in wholesale grocery business and cigar manufacturing exclusively. The firm of Winton & Stewart continued until 1889, when the firm of D. B. Stewart Company was established, and is now being conducted at 15, 17 and 19 South Tioga Street. He is a member of Hobasco Lodge, F. & A. M., Eagle Chapter, St. Augustine Commandery, Ithaca Lodge No. 71, I.O.O.F., Protective Police, director of the Ithaca Trust Company, and trustee of the Ithaca Savings Bank. He married in 1856, A. Louisa CROWELL of Newfield, and they have one son, Edwin C. STEWART, with his father in business.
STEWART, Edwin C., was born in the town of Newfield, March 8, 1864, only son of D. B. STEWART. He was educated in the public and High School of Ithaca, and was for three years one of the proprietors of the Ithaca Cigar Manufacturing Co., afterwards conducting the John L. WHITON bakery for three years. Since 1890 he has been a member of the firm of D. B. Stewart & Co. Mr. STEWART is a Republican in politics and an active worker in the party, for four years being chairman of the Republican County Committee. In the fall of 1892 he was nominated by the party to represent his district in the State Assembly, and elected by a majority of 700. In legislative session 1893-94 he was a member of the Ways and Means, and Printing Committees. He offered the bill creating the State Veterinary College in Cornell which was passed, appropriating $50,000. He also introduced the bill making appropriation to improve Cayuga Inlet; a bill amending the military code in the interest of the Sons of Veterans; a bill permitting villages to create electric light plants, and other important measures. He is a member of Hobasco Lodge No. 716, F. & A. M., Eagle Chapter and Ithaca Council, St. Augustine Commandery. He is also a K. of P., and for eight years has been connected with the Tornado Hook and Ladder Co. No. 8.
STEWART, Horace S., of Newfield, was born in Meredith, Delaware County, June 15, 1804. Nathan S., his father, moved to Tompkins county in 1811, buying a year later the place, about three miles from Newfield, which then consisted of 118 acres. His wife was Phoebe TIFFANY, by whom he had eight children, our subject being the oldest. He has always followed farming and stock raising and handling. He married first in 1830, Calista BARNES, and second, in 1864, Ruth E. CRANE and he has two sons living in Ithaca, his eldest being a wholesale grocer and his youngest being a dealer in butter, who does a thriving business. Mr. STEWART has held the office of road commissioner and is a prominent member of the M. E. church.
STEWART, Olin L., was born in the town of Newfield, January 24, 1852, the youngest son of Horace S. STEWART. He was educated in the common schools, and after leaving same was engaged with his brother in the tobacco business. In 1871 he went to Cortland where he established a cigar manufactory, which he conducted for two years. Returning to Ithaca he was one year in the employ of his brother, and for one year was in partnership with him. In 1880 he established a bottling business in this city, to which he added by the purchase of the Bartholomew Agency of Schwartz, and from this start he has built up the present large and extensive establishment at 16 South Aurora street. He is also agent for the Standard Brewing Co., of Rochester. Mr. STEWART is a Democrat in politic, and in 1892 he was elected alderman of the second ward of the city. He is a member of Hobasco Lodge No. 716, F. & A. M., and a member of the K. of P. Lodge No. 89. He was married in April, 1890, to Eva JARVIS of Ithaca.
STICKLE, Theodore, was born in the town of Dryden, November 9, 1864. His father, Anson STICKLE, came from Dutchess county in 1837, and in 1860 he bought the Albert TWOGOOD property of 288 acres. Mr. STICKLE was educated in the Dryden Academy, after which he returned to his father's farm. He takes the Republican side in politics and an active interest in educational and religious matters. Anson STICKLE married Susan VAN BUSKIRK of Hamilton, Monroe county, Pa. Our subject is one of the largest farmers in his town, raising large quantities of hay, grain and stock, and making a specialty of sheep raising and dairying, and is recognized as a practical and successful farmer.
STODDARD, David, born November 5, 1773, a native and former resident of Litchfield, Conn., settled in Otselic, Chenango county, in 1803, and his wife died October 11, 1813, after which the pioneer divided his farm among his three sons and then came to Groton, where he purchased a farm of 300 acres. In 1815 he married Lois COBB, daughter of one of Groton's pioneers, and by this marriage he had these children: Ida, born in September 1816, died in 1866; Ira, born in 1820, died in Salisbury rebel prison in 1864; Isa, who married Alanso DURFEE of Groton; Iren, born August 13, 1825; Iva, born July 5, 1828, died September 6, 1864; Irena, born December 4, 1830, married Charles FRANCIS, and lives on the old home farm in Groton; Althelia, who became the wife of Augustus MOE. Iren STODDARD married Fanny, daughter of Frederick MILLER of Groton, and his six children: Fay L., Giles M., Omar C., Frank A., Edward and Jerome, all of whom live in Groton. Giles M. STODDARD was born September 22, 1854, and was educated at the Groton Academy and Union Free school. He read law with W. W. HARE and was admitted to the bar in May, 1879. Mr. STODDARD is a Democrat, and one of the leaders of his party in this part of the county. He was candidate for the office of district attorney in 1884. He has twice been president of the village and member of the School Board three terms. February 7, 1888, he was appointed postmaster at Groton village. In 1882 Mr. STODDARD married Maude, daughter of Solomon LOOMIS of Groton, and they have one child, Leola.
STODDARD, Edward Schuyler, born in Ithaca, March 22, 1865. The STODDARD family is one of the oldest families of this country. John STODDARD, of whom our subject is ten generations removed was in 1645 a resident of Connecticut, and in tracing the family down we find them numerous and distinguished, as they can count in their relations a noted general (W. T. SHERMAN), and others prominent in political and social life. Edward STODDARD, the father of our subject, was born in Danby, N.Y., October 2, 1816, married September 2, 1841, Christina Maria HEATH. She died August 15, 1842, and he married second Anna Eliza SCHUYLER, daughter of J. V. R. SCHUYLER, and they had four children, of whom our subject is the youngest.
STONE, Richard H., was born in Trumansburgh, July 16, 1842, was educated in the public schools and old Academy. He then clerked in his father's store, was afterwards engaged by the Ithaca, Geneva & Sayre Railroad Company as station agent, and was in the employ of the road through its various changes for fifteen years. In the mean time he established an extensive general produce business, has built an elevator with a capacity of 25,000 bushels, coal trestle, warehouses, fruit cellars and hay barns, all provided with machinery for handling produce, pressing hay, etc. The coal trestle has a capacity of 3,000 tons. His shipments last year were over one thousand car loads of produce, and he received about 900 cars of coal, etc. This year indicates an increase of ten per cent, and his average cash payments are about $1,000 per day. He resigned his position as station agent in May, 1892. June 29, 1864, he married Nancy, daughter of Stephen LAMPORT, of Trumansburgh, and they have nine children: Stephen L., who married Fannie HOWE of Knowlesville, Orleans county, N. Y., and has two children, Ruth and Margarete; Albert G., Le Pine, Louise M., R. Harry, Edward C., Charlotte L., Nancy L., and Estelle D. Mr. STONE's father, Albert G., was born in Litchfield county, Conn., and came to Tompkins county at an early day. March 21, 1833, he married Ann E. CAMP of this village, and they had ten children, six of whom survive: James L., Louise C., Richard H., Hermon C., Albertine and George, of Washington, who is chief clerk to the second assistant postmaster general; two sisters reside with him. Mr. STONE's father was postmaster here about twelve years, and died April 2, 1870.
STORMS, John B., was born in the town of Mentz, Cayuga county, April, 1839, one of five children of George M. STORMS, a blacksmith of that county, who came from New York city in 1838. He died November 3, 1854, aged forty-one years. The boyhood of our subject was spent in his native town, and at the time of his father's death he was fourteen years of age, and apprenticed himself to a marble cutter. He was employed in Auburn two years, and April 25, 1859, he came to Ithaca, where he was employed by BEERS & GOODRICH, whose shop stood where the Cornell Library now stands. For twenty-seven years he was with the above firm, and in 1886 he bought out the former proprietors who had their shops at 21 East Green Street. Mr. STORMS has worked up an extensive trade in this county, and is prepared to furnish everything needed in the line of fine marble-cutting and monument work. He is a Democrat and a member of Fidelity Lodge F. & A. M., and also of No. 5 Hose Company of the Fire Department. In 1892 he married Kate E. DILTS of Ithaca, and they have one daughter.
STOUT, Jonathan, was a native of Bordentown, N.J., born January 18, 1782, and married Mary Buck ALLEN, who was born June 3, 1786. They settled in Dryden in 1809, and Mr. STOUT participated in the war of 1812. Their children were: Charlotte, Andrew, Mary, Furman, Margaret, Abram J., Ellen, Sarah and Allen. Mr. STOUT died March 9, 1846. Abram J. was born October 14, 1819, and at the age of nineteen started out to learn the blacksmith trade in Groton, and two years later had a shop of his own. In 1846 he went to Lake Ridge, remaining two years, then bought the Ira RIGGS farm, east of Groton village, where he has lived continually, with the exception of eight years residence in Cortland. He has acquired a comfortable competency. April 30, 1844, he married Julia GIBBS of Groton, and they have had one child, Jerome W., a young man of much promise, who settled in Michigan, and there died in 1890. During the period preceding the war Mr. STOUT was a Democrat but a thorough Abolitionist, and assisted many fugitive slaves who came to him for refuge. Later on he became a Republican, though taking no interest in public affairs. James GIBBS, of Windsor, Conn., settled here about 1815, and became a Baptist clergyman. He married Almena COLGROVE of Connecticut and their children were: Eliza, James, Oliver, Julia, and Norman. James GIBBS was on the frontier service during the war of 1812.
STOUT, Wilmer, was born on Salt Roads, town of Groton, November 11, 1844, a son of Abram Hart STOUT, born in Dryden, who married Hannah CASTLE, and reared four children: Wesley, Wilmer, Algernon H. and Luther C. After his marriage he removed to the town of Groton and bought a small farm, which he sold later and moved to Lansing. He died in 1861, aged forty-eight, and his wife in 1889, aged seventy-four. The father of Abram was Peter LOTT, and his mother was Wealthy LUTHER, natives of New Jersey. Wilmer was reared on the farm, and attended the district schools. He remained on the farm with his parents till the age of eighteen, when in 1862 he enlisted in Co. F, 9th Heavy Artillery, going with his company to Washington. He went from there to camp Nellie Seward, under command of Colonel WELLINGTON, and they built Fort Baird. The next move was across the eastern branch of the Potomac River to Fort Dupont, where here they remained two months. He was engaged in the following battles: The Wilderness, Cold Harbor, in front of Petersburg, in front of Washington when EARLY made his raid, Winchester, Fisher's Hill and Cedar Creek. He was wounded at Cedar Creek, and removed to hospital at Philadelphia, where he remained about four months, when he returned to his regiment. He was discharged from McClelland's Hospital May 31, 1865, and returned home and engaged in farming, which he followed till 1872, when he learned the blacksmith's trade, which he has since followed. In October, 1891, he received his commission as postmaster at Lansingville. In 1884 he married Lillian, only living daughter of William and Electa (FULLER) MILES, of Lock. She is one of six children, three of whom died in childhood. Our subject is a Republican. Mrs. STOUT's family is one of the oldest in America and can be traced to the early Puritans of New England.
STREETER, Nelson R., was born in the town of Pitcher, Chenango County, October 7, 1838, a son of William and Elizabeth STREETER, and the youngest but one of their thirteen children. Nelson was apprenticed to a shoemaker, and in due time becoming a journeyman, but he worked most of his life either as a foreman or proprietor. His old size stick, hammer and pincers are treasured remembrances of his early life and hang, gilded and elegantly framed, in the parlor of their owner. When a child, Mr. STREETER's family and parents removed from Pitcher to Onondaga county and there the greater part of his early life was passed. At the age of eight years, his parents being both deceased, he was practically thrown upon his own resources. and his success in life has been due entirely to his own efforts. In 1869 he came to this town, and was thereafter connected with various partners end firms in the shoe business. While so engaged he invented an attachment to a last, a valuable appliance, but one which lost him his accumulations to develop. In 1876 he engaged in the manufacture of novelties under the firm name of N. R. STREETER & Co., and though comparatively unknown outside this village, the firm is one of the largest business houses in the county. The firm deals in useful and valuable novelties of all kinds, many of them being the invention of Mr. STREETER himself; in fact he owns and controls no less than forty different patents. In the prosecutions of his vast interests Mr. STREETER has traveled extensively and has cultivated a wide acquaintance with traveling and business men, being particularly interested in the commercial traveler or "drummer," and possessing literary tastes, he has compiled a book of choice poems many of which are in circulation under the head of "Gems from an Old Drummer's Grip." In village affairs, our subject also takes a deep interest, being a temperance man and a Republican. He has served on the Board of Trustees and also on the Board of Education. In 1860 he married Adelia RANDOLPH of Chenango County, and they have four children.
SULLIVAN, Charles W., was born in the town of Caroline, April 18, 1852. David, the father of our subject, was also a native of the county, born in the town of Lansing, October 6, 1812. He was a contractor and farmer, and was only a child when his parents moved into the town of Caroline. David was the father of three children; Abram C., of Union City, Michigan, Mrs. Mary A. IWAN, of Union City, and Charles, our subject. David C. died June 10, 1891. With the exception of one year spent in Michigan, he has always been a resident of the county. He was educated in the common schools of his native town, and as soon as he was old enough began working. In 1872 he moved to Ithaca, where, for fifteen years, he has been engaged in various wood working establishments and as a carpenter. In 1877 he took his first contract, and since that time has erected sixteen of the finest residences of the city, many of them from his own designs. He also does repair work. Mr. SULLIVAN is reporter of the Knights of Honor of this city, a position he has held for nine years, and is a mem-ber of the Knights of Pythias. His beautiful residence, at 85 Cascadilla Street, was erected in 1874 from his own design. September 28, 1871, he married Susie N. NOR-WOOD, of Caroline, and they have two children, Edward C. and Flora B.
SUTFIN, James G., was born in Dryden April 20, 1838. His father was W. H. SUTFIN, came from New Jersey about 1825, and settled on lot twenty-seven. Our subject was educated in the common schools, but is pre-eminently a self-made and self-educated man. At the age of twenty-one he married Helen A. M. SKILLINGS, daughter of W. W. SKILLINGS of Dryden, and they are the parents of two children, one son, E. J. SUTFIN, one daughter, Mrs. Anna M. SAGER. In 1861 he bought the W. W. SKILLINGS property of 100 acres, and in 1871 he bought another portion of that estate. In 1875 he bought part of the LUDDINGTON estate; in 1880 the C. J. WHEELER farm; and in 1892 he purchased and inherited another portion of the SKILLINGS estate, which has been in the possession of the family since 1836. He has 186 acres of some of the finest farm land in Dryden, raising hay, grain and stock, and making a specialty of dairying. He takes the Republican side in politics and an intelligent interest in educational and religious matters, being trustee of his school district, and is known in his town as a practical and successful farmer.
SUTFIN, W. E., was born in the town of Dryden, June 4, 1864. His father, W. J. SUTFIN, is one of the leading farmers of the town. He was educated in the common schools and graduated from the Cortland Normal School in 1886 and taught school at McLean and other places for two years. In 1889 he bought a half interest in the general merchandise store of H. W. ROE and is now junior partner in the leading house in his town. At the age of twenty-four he married Nola C. STONE, daughter of A. C. STONE of Freeville. He takes the Republican side in politics and an intelligent interest in educational and religious matters. Mr. SUTFIN is a conservative and independent citizen, taking a prominent part in advancing the interests of his town.
SWARTHOUT, Reuben, was born in the town of Danby, March 11, 1826. His early location was obtained in the district schools, which he soon left and learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed up to 188, in the mean time spending four years in California, taking the trip via the Isthmus of Panama, and making the journey in twenty-eight days. Returning he bought a farm of Luther WRIGHT of 100 acres, which sold in 1867, and bought the old Mahlon LA RUE farm of 150 acres, which he rents. Democrat in polities, Mr. SWARTHOUT takes an active interest in educational and church matters. He is known in his neighborhood as a conservative man, who has made a success of farming.
SWARTHOUT, G. M., was born in the town of Newfield April 13, 1837. William, his father, was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1807, was a farmer all his life, and also a blacksmith. He settled in this county in 1834, taking a farm in Newfield, about a mile north of where our subject now lives, his farm consisting of 233 acres, on which he built a log cabin at first. He married Priscilla BROWN, of Pennsylvania, and they had seven children, six surviving. Of these children G. M. was the third, and began business as a mechanic and carpenter. This he followed several years, and has built several buildings in the town. He is also a farmer. February 13, 1868, he married Adelaide OUSMUN, of Newfield, by whom he has four children, all living at home, though one son is in the Havana school. Mr. SWARTHOUT is a prominent member of the G. A. R. of Newfield, Gregg Post, No. 123, having served in the late war six months, when he was compelled to leave on account of disease contracted in the service. He enlisted in July, 1862, and returned in January, 1863. He has held the office of senior vice-commander and quartermaster, and has been road commissioner for one term. He is a Republican.
SWEET, Galusha C., was born in the town of Virgil, November 24, 1849, and was educated in the common schools, to which he has added through life by reading and observation. After leaving school he learned the marble-cutter's trade, which he followed for four years and then learned the carriage-maker's trade about ten years. In 1882 he came to the village of Dryden and went into the undertaker's business, soon taking the lead in his line and receiving calls from Ithaca, Cortland, Virgil, Harford, and Harford Mills as the director of the obsequies of the dead. Our subject has acquired a wide and well deserved reputation throughout the country. At the age of twenty-one he was married to Miss Hattie WILLIAMS, daughter of the late W. H. WILLIAMS of the town of Virgil, who died in January, 1888, and they have two children, Miss Lida and Miss Allie. Mr. SWEET takes the Republican side in politics and an active interest in educational and religious matters.
SYNNOTT, S. H., Rev, was born in St. John, N.B., was educated in the University of New Brunswick and in the General Theological Seminary in New York City. He acted as assistant in St. Peter's church in New York city for a year and a half, and his first rectorship was at Cooperstown, Otsego Co., N.Y., where he staid seven years. From there he went to St. Paul's church, Poughkeepsie, where he was the rector for seventeen years, coming to Ithaca in 1885 as rector of St. John's church. In 1891 he was elected librarian by the trustees of the Cornell City Library, making him ex-officio trustee of the University. He is a member of Fidelity Lodge, F. & A. M., Eagle Chapter, St. Augustine Commandery and Knights of Pythias, and chaplain of the blue lodge. In 1863 he married Alice T. WORTHINGTON of Cooperstown, and they have one child, the wife of E. A. PATTISON of Troy, N.Y.
Carl Hommel donated this material and transcribed into digital format.
Thank you Carl Hommel.
You are our
visitor since June 06, 2002.
Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright by the Tompkins County NYGenWeb Coordinators
for the contributors of the material on these pages.
All Rights Reserved.