This page is a part of the Tompkins Co., NYGenWeb Site. Not for commercial use. All Rights Reserved.
French's Gazeteer of 1860
Town of Enfield
From Gazeteer of the State of New York by J.H. French 1860
Enfield1--was formed from Ulysses, March 16, 1821. It lies upon the center of the W. border of the co. Its surface is rolling, and it has a mean elevation of 500 to 700 ft. above Cayuga Lake. The principal streams are Ten Mile Creek and the S. branch of Taughanick Creek. Upon the former, in the S.E. tract of the town, is one of the finest of the beautiful cascades so common in this co. It is in a deep gorge, and has a total fall of 230 ft. The soil is principally a gravelly loam. Enfield Center (p.v.) contains 2 churches and about 40 dwellings; Enfield (p.v.) 25 dwellings. Enfield Falls is a hamlet. Among the first settlers were ___ Geltner, John Whitlock, Jas. Rumsey, Lewis Owen, and Isaac and John Beech.2 There are 5 churches in town.3
1Named from Enfield, Ct.
2John Applegate kept the first inn, Samuel Ingersoil the first store, and Wm. Ferris built the first mill.
32 M.E., Christian, Bap., and Presb.
You are our
visitor since May 13, 2003.
Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright by Janet M. Nash and Johnna Armstrong
for the contributors of the material on these pages.
All Rights Reserved.