This page is a part of the Tompkins Co., NYGenWeb Site. Not for commercial use. All Rights Reserved.
French's Gazeteer of 1860
Town of Lansing
From Gazeteer of the State of New York by J.H. French 1860
Lansing--was formed from Genoa, (Cayuga co.,) April 7, 1817. It lies upon the E. bank of Cayuga Lake, in the N. part of the co. The surface is principally a rolling upland, 500 ft. above the lake, bordered by steep declivities. Salmon Creek, the principal stream, flows S. through near the center of the town. Its valley is narrow and bordered by steep hillsides. Swartz, Townly, and Hedden Creeks are its principal tributaries. The soil is generally a fertile, gravelly loam. Ludlowville, (p.v.,) on Salmon Creek, about 1 mi. from its mouth, contains 3 churches, several factories,1 and about 50 dwellings. Lansingville, (p.v.,) on the ridge W. of Salmon Creek, in the N. part of the town, contains 1 church and 25 dwellings. North Lansing, (p.o.,) in the N.E. corner, Lake Ridge, (p.o.,) on the bluff above the lake, in the N.W. corner, and Libertyville (South Lansing p.o.,) are hamlets of about a dozen houses each. East Lansing and Forest City are p. offices. Forest City Water Cure is finely situated on the bluff overlooking the lake, in the S. part of the town. The first settlement was begun in 1792, by emigrants from N.J.2 The census reports 7 churches in town.3
1Grist and saw mills and an ax helve factory.
2Among the early settlers were Wm. Goodwin, Silas Ludlow, Abram Bloom, and families named Beardsley, Depuy, Minier, Allen, Atwater, and Bowker, who came in 1791; Sam'l Gibbs and ___ Holmes, in 1792; and Abram Van Wagner, in 1797. The first marriage was that of Henry Bloom and Miss Goodwin; and the first death, that of the wife of Henry Bloom, in 1798. Wm. Boyse kept the first inn, at Libertyville. The first night of his stay in the house a rattlesnake crept into the bed and slept with his children. ___ Tooker kept the first store; Silas Ludlow, of Ludlowville, built the first mill, in 1798.
34 M.E., 2 Bap., and Presb.
You are our
visitor since May 13, 2003.
Thanks for stopping by!
Copyright by Janet M. Nash and Johnna Armstrong
for the contributors of the material on these pages.
All Rights Reserved.